Thursday, March 5, 2009

A New Spin on Class - Ground and Grow

I am really interested in connecting the energetic body and the physical body. This is why my journey so far has including gaining a deeper understanding of Chakras (the spinning wheels of energy) and the Nadis (energetic crossroads in our bodies). I have participated in a several wonderful classes that focus on clearing the chakras, realigning the chakras, opening the nadis, and other mind/body connection workshops.

So last weekend I decided that I would like to try out a new flow with my Tuesday class. I chose to present this flow to my Tuesday students because it tends to be a smaller, more intimate group. The direction of this flow was to reconnect with our root chakra and open the hips. The dialogue centered around grounding down, inhaling a deep warm swirling red, planting and growing, and creating space in our bodies by letting go of the 'extra junk in the trunk'. The aim was for students to leave with a renewed sense of self and a confidence in their abilities to take those next steps...what ever 'those next steps' were for each student that day.

I taught the class. Admittedly, there were a few points that could have been more smooth. But overall it felt like a decent experience. I just wish I knew what my students thought. No one spoke at the end of class. I have never had a class end so quietly. Not a peep.

My charge to all of you wonderful practicing yogis and yoginis is to offer feedback. Yoga is a two way street. Truly, learning and teaching are running both ways in each and every class. Let your instructors know what worked for you and what might have felt awkward. They won't be offended...they will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment