Thursday, March 12, 2009

Learning from Falling

I taught a great group of students last night. It was a moderate class and I could feel that many students in this class were ready to practice a hand balancing posture.

So I slowly cued the class toward a Side Crow. Now on the first side most students gave it the old college try. Then one woman fell out of the posture onto her face. She was fine. In fact, she brushed herself off and proceeded to come back into the posture. I was so glad for her.

Oddly, the rest of the class seemed to only focus on the fact that their fellow student had fallen on her face. When we switched to take the posture on the opposite side only my fallen student proceeded to come into the posture. Again I was glad for her, but really sad for the rest of my students.

Falling is the best opportunity for growth. When we fall, we can only go up from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment