I have been practicing yoga for over 15 years, but it only became my way of life this year.
Let me explain.
My father sent me off to college by saying, "figure out what makes you happy and do that, because to do anything else would be an insult to your soul". It was at Wellesley that I stepped on my first yoga mat. It was awesome and personal and more importantly, yoga made me happy. Unfortunately, the rest of my life seemed incongruous with maintaining a regular practice and I settled for an "on again, off again" relationship with my mat.
Fast-forward 13 years: In 2005, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I was told that I would need to take a series of medications for the rest of my life. That year, all totaled, I spent an entire month in the hospital. Deciding that this was not the way that I wanted to live my life, I spoke with my gastroenterologist about weaning myself off of the medications. We agreed to a one-year trial. I changed my diet and dedicated myself to my mat. At the end of my year, my colonoscopy showed no signs of inflammation, scarring, or any other indications that I had Crohn's disease. My doctors were amazed. I was not.
Yoga makes me happy. It is food for my mind, body, and soul.
I became a certified yoga teacher through the Open Doors Power Yoga Teacher Training Program in the South Shore of Massachusetts. I bring my belief in the restorative power of yoga to the forefront of my classes. Meet me on the mat and stretch your mind, body, and spirit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment